Skip to main content

Increase Readability With Colons & Semicolons

Colons and semicolons are among the most misunderstood of punctuation marks. Used correctly, these little grammatical joiners can add readability and interest to your writing. Try these ideas for making your writing even more accessible, understandable and impactful: 

1. Use a semicolon to join two complete sentences that are related in some way.
↪ EXAMPLE: I was driving too fast; I was issued a traffic citation.

2. Use a semicolon to help you use transitions in your paragraphs and sentences.
↪ EXAMPLE: I am the family shopper; however, everyone in my home has an opinion on what to purchase.

3. Use a semicolon to separate complex items in a list when using commas would create confusion.
↪ EXAMPLE: I went on vacation with Laura, my sister; Ryder, my nephew; and KC, my brother-in-law.

4. Use a colon at the end of a complete sentence to emphasize information.
↪ EXAMPLE: There is one thing I always purchase: cereal.

5. Use a colon as a substitute for a signal word such as "said" when citing research or introducing a list of bulleted items or a block of text.
↪ EXAMPLE 1: He began speaking quietly: "I have never been so honored in all my life."
↪ EXAMPLE 2:
According to the most recent edition of the Employee Handbook, the job duties are as follows:
- Complete all assigned work.
- Organize your work area.
- Report any inaccuracies to management.
- Maintain a professional appearance at all times.
- Complete required coursework in a timely manner.


As with most (all?) grammar rules, exceptions exist and might pop up in your personal, academic or classroom writing. When in doubt, always read the sentence aloud with the reader in mind to determine which punctuation mark(s) is/are needed to increase readability and effectively make your point.